Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sometimes simple things can be confusing

During a visit to Jack Tar Village in Galveston, TX, we stopped for dinner at their restaurant. I love their food, but hate the way their rest rooms are designated for males and females. They have male and female dolphins on the doors, nothing else - no bonnets, purses, shotguns or boobs to make obvious which is which.
I was in a hurry but stopped and studied the three dimensional dolphins. Not coming to a definite conclusion and feeling somewhat stupid, I took a deep breath, made my choice, opened the door and peaked in. (Getting way ahead of me aren’t you?)
Ever spent 20 minutes in an isolation booth while lifting your knees to your chest and holding your breath?
The moment of truth came almost immediately when I heard the tap, tap, tap of spiked heels on tile. My fears were verified when I heard female chit-chat. I honestly didn’t want to listen, but what can you do when you’re eight feet away. I was frightened my cell phone or change would slip out of my pockets, roll under the partition and interrupt their conversation. You become very religious on these occasions. 
They talked and talked. Meanwhile, my bad knee from high school football started cramping. I was beginning to have visions of a banner headline in the Galveston Daily News, “Retired teacher arrested in women’s rest room at local resort.”
I thought they’d never leave, but eventually they did, never once powdering their noses. Now I was scared I’d run into more ladies before attempting my exit.
Uncoiling, I took the gamble and hurriedly slipped out the door. Seconds after limping through the door a lady approached. She, not surprisingly, hesitated at the door’s female dolphin signage. Adjusting her bifocals, she tilted her head back and studied the door. Turning toward me she asked, “Excuse me, is this the ladies room?”
Acting like a passerby, “Not sure,” I innocently responded. “But the little figurine should tell you. Is it male or female?”
“Beats me,” she said and brazenly marched through the door.
Some people have all the luck.
Trivia question of the day
(Try it without Google)
The answer will be in tomorrow’s blog.
Yesterday’s Question: A group of geese on the ground is gaggle. What is a group of geese in the air? A Skein
Today’s Trivia: If a female dolphin is called a cow, what is a male dolphin called?

No comments:

Post a Comment