Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dixie brings back memories


The song Dixie has come under attack from some folks who say it’s racist and conjures-up images of segregation, slavery and The Civil War. At one time in our history, that was a valid emotion. Growing-up in north Texas in the 50s, I saw sections of black soiled farmland carpeted with cotton, so when I hear the phrase “Land of Cotton” it means those fields off Preston Road that strung all the way to Lake Texoma. Of course, I can only speak for myself, but I freely

admit that when I hear Dixie played, it does indeed conjure-up certain images.

Dixie makes me think of Live Oak trees, spanish moss, hush puppies, corn bread, The Mississippi River, watermelon, fireflies and “lickin’ the dasher” on a July afternoon. It makes me think of gospel music, Brother Dave, Gomer Pile, New Orleans, Al Hurt, Paul Prudhomme, Minnie Pearl, Nashville, Gardenia bushes and children who say “Yes, Ma’am” and “No Ma’am.”

Dixie makes me think of firecracker stands and lemonaide. As a youngster, my mother would grow mint in the backyard then we’d pick the sprigs in the summer and put them in our iced tea. Remember the smell of fresh mint?

Dixie makes me think of Lone Star Beer, OU Weekend, The Masters and Colonial Golf Tournaments, Key West sunsets, Savannah in the spring and Alabama's red clay and Pine trees . It reminds me of cool October weekend nights and the State Fair of Texas. I can still smell those wonderful Fletcher’s Corny Dogs.

It brings back memories whenever I hear it - good memories. I get goose bumps, a lump in my throat and a prickly feeling on the back of my neck when I hear the first six notes. If people of color feel differently, I’m sorry and I truly understand. I don’t expect everyone to feel the same way about this old song as I do, but I do wish they would try and understand that it’s not about the Civil War, at least not anymore. It’s about today, tomorrow and hopefully forever. I don’t mind if you don’t like it, but please don’t get your nose out of joint because I do.

There are several versions to Dixie, but this is the one I think most southerners are accustomed to:

O, I wish I was in the land of cotton

Old times there are not forgotten

Look away! Look away!

Look away! Dixie Land.


In Dixie Land where I was born in

Early on one frosty mornin’

Look away! Look away!

Look away! Dixie Land.


Chorus:

O, I wish I was in Dixie!

Hooray! Hooray!

In Dixie Land I’ll take my stand

To live and die in Dixie

Away, away,

Away down south in Dixie!

No comments:

Post a Comment