Monday, August 3, 2009

Beef Tripe


Yesterday, I accidently brought home a different cat food than normal. I say accidentally when actually I did it on purpose, it was a buck fifty cheaper. Anyway, my finicky cat Boo wouldn’t touch, not even a lick, so I returned to the store to return with her preferred brand.

While wondering the food aisles -Tonda hates this because she never knows what I’ll return home with, I stopped in the canned food section and picked out a can of the generically named Potted Meat Food Product - yes, that was its name. The ingredients listed on the label (Andy Rooney has got me doing this now) include: Beef tripe, beef hearts, cooked fat tissue solids, and partially de-fatted beef fatty tissue. I’ll bet all that attracts a lot of picky eaters. This is not a product my Uncle Mike would eat.

I can hear consumers around the U.S. dinner table, “Mom, pass me some more of that partially de-fatted beef stuff.”

Also on the label was a well lighted and composed color picture of a brownish substance surrounded by parsley with an olive perched in the center. Is it just me or do olives look like frog eyeballs?

For research sake, I stopped at the meat section, rung the service bell, and asked the white stained apron clad lady behind the counter what beef tripe was. She looked at me like she hated to get those kind of questions, paused... and said, “I think it comes from around the stomach area of a cow.” I could tell she hates people who are retired and have nothing better to do than wonder around the store, but I thanked her and left.

I’ve lost my appetite after all this research, so I grabbed my stacks of canned cat food and headed home. Scares me to death to think about the ingredients in a can of Spam.

Trivia question of the day

(Try it without Google)

The answer will be in tomorrow’s blog.

Yesterday’s Question: What organization boasts that 27 percent of it’s membershipare blonde females? Mensa - the organization for the really smart. Does this debunk the “Dumb Blond” stories?

Today’s Trivia: Sellers of binoculars and telescopes gross about $400 million dollars a year from what group?

No comments:

Post a Comment